Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Share the Road: A Rant

I've taken all I can take and I just can't hold this rant in anymore. I know a lot of you are cyclists as well as runners so this may offend you but... Why do cyclists think they own every inch of pavement in the world?? And why are they such a-holes about it?

If I've seen you coming at me on your bike for the last hundred yards and have gotten out of your way you don't have the right to scream at me when you finally get your head out of you ass and looked up when you're 2 feet away. I'm sure you were surprised, but it wasn't my fault. That makes you an a-hole. Actually it makes you an arrogant a-hole.

If you're riding side-by-side with you buddy on a narrow trail where it's common for people to be riding and running in both directions it would be nice if one of you would move over when a running is coming the other way. You don't have to, I will move over to the grass to be sure I don't get tire makes up and down my body, but it would be nice.

I love that you yell "on your left" when you pass me. I really do. But please don't scream it and follow it with an insult to my mother. I'm just running I don't mean to piss you off with my presence.

I would never write complain about these things if they were isolated incidents. These three things have become common occurrences on my runs where cyclists are common. I like to think that I don't hold hard feelings towards anyone but I must admit that cyclists are not my favorite people. I've gotten to the point where I avoid them and don't like to be around them not just out on the roads. I hate that and I don't want to feel that way.

Thanks for listening

2 comments:

RBR said...

As you know I do both and am perfect in every regard as to road etiquette and situational awareness and I have found the following to be true:

1. When I am running, cyclists are assholes.

2. When I am cycling, runners are assholes.

I agree 100% with your rant.:)

Terri said...

I know the feeling - where I drive to work, there are so many bicyclists, and even though they get a bike lane on the road, many of them also tend to think that means that they get the entire car lane. It's QUITE annoying.

I am sure you felt a lot better after writing that rant. I smiled a lot reading it. Finally, someone said what I've been thinking!