Saturday, January 8, 2011

First step

So last week, while I was off work, I decided that I couldn't take the inside of my house anymore and went for an all-day run. What a great idea! I started out from my house around 9 with only a general idea of where I would go. I took my ID and a credit card so I could stop and grab lunch somewhere that allowed sweaty, stinky runners in the door.

I stopped at Starbucks along the way and had my morning coffee which I had iced because I wasn't sure I could stomach anything hot.

It was a beautiful sunny day and I trotted through traffic up to Lake Hefner. I had NPR playing in my ears so I could get caught up on the news I had been ignoring for many weeks. Somewhere around the dam I realized I'd heard the same news story 3 times and took the headphones off.

Lunch turned out to be a stop at the 7-Eleven for some Cheese-Its and a bottle of water. I always find my mid-run cravings funny. I NEVER eat Cheese-Its, ever. I don't like them. But for some reason on mile 13 of that run Cheese-Its were all I ever wanted in life. They tasted great then even if the thought of it makes me hurl now. Oh well, just another reason to refer to myself in the third person. Even I don't understand me.

Somewhere along the way I got myself back in order and overcame the horrible stir-craziness that I had gotten myself into after being off work for 2 weeks. Running is good for that. Oh yea, I also hurt my knee somewhere. Yes, that's right, I'm injured now. Hear that screaming? Me neither because I didn't (and still don't) really care. That long run did me good and if I have to be injured because of it I'll take it. Besides, it's just a pain behind my kneecap, I've had that before and I'm confident I know how to get rid of it. This may make me a seasoned, i.e. old, runner. Either way I think I like it.

Thanks for listening

2 comments:

Aka Alice said...

LOL at Cheese-its. I can't even imagine eating those on a run (pretzels maybe, but Cheese-its?).

Good luck with the knee!

Terri said...

Wow, you are so brave, to go on a run and have iced coffee to drink! i would be terrified, my God!

Glad you had such a cathartic healing run. My apologies for being so behind on catching up.

Oh, and the advice you gave me a while back - on facebook, and in telling me that eventually it'd feel better, but different. well, you were right in both respects.

Just wanted to say thank you!