Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Finally a day of rest.

Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: Okay, so how do I do it? Therapy, I mean, I mean, wh-- how do I start doing it?
Dr. Molly Griswold: Ooo-kay, Roy. Well, in parlance you might understand, just kick back and let the big dog eat.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: Suppose there's this guy, and he's standing on the shore of a big wide river, and the... river's full of all manner of disaster, you know, piranhas, alligators, eddies, currents, shit like that... nobody'll even go down there to dip a toe. And on the other side of the river's a million bucks, and on this side of the river... is a rowboat.
Dr. Molly Griswold: Mm-hmm?
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: I guess my question's this: What would possess the guy standing on the shore to swim for it?
Dr. Molly Griswold: He is an idiot.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: No, see, he's a helluva swimmer. His problem's more like why does he always have to... rise to the challenge?
Dr. Molly Griswold: He is a juvenile idiot.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: You don't understand what I mean by the river.
Dr. Molly Griswold: Roy, we're talking about you, and what you like to call your inner demons -- that human frailty you like to blather about -- not some mythopoetic metaphor you come up with in a... feeble and transparent effort to do yourself credit.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: You mean you're going to make me feel lousy?
Dr. Molly Griswold: No.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: I came here to feel better. I mean, what kind of therapy is...
Dr. Molly Griswold: Roy, Roy, Roy, you don't have any inner demons. What you have is inner crapola, inner debris... garbage... loose wires, a few... [laughs]
Dr. Molly Griswold: horseshit in staggering amounts.

No running today per my new marathon training schedule. YEA!! I have run everyday since Friday and my legs are tired! Don't you love the quote above? I can relate to the inner demons. Why is it that I just can't accept that my failings are due to something explainable and realistic. I guess I love the idea that there is still some romantic, mythological forces at play in the world today. What fun is it to live in a world where everything is explainable and understood? I want to believe in fate and destiny and things beyond my control. Serendipity! I want heroes that overcome unbelievable obstacles, who can leap tall buildings in a single bound, who can defeat the monsters and save the world!

Then again, I also like to have someone around who knows and loves me enough to tell me when I'm full of #$%@......

Thanks for listening

1 comment:

Southbaygirl said...

I want to believe in fate and destiny as well.....but so far it hasn't shown me a nice path! But I'm still hoping!!! I wont give up on that thought!!!