Sunday, May 9, 2010

OKC Memorial Marathon 2010

The Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon seems to be my new nemesis. In true comic book fashion it's one of those rivals that was born out of a friendship and love first. I love this marathon, it's my (current) hometown marathon, it gives me the opportunity to meet celebrity runners, and it lets me call it "my" marathon.

Beginning last year, however, it stopped loving me and began to fight me. If you remember last year, I ended up in the medical tent following the Memorial marathon and had an absolutely horrible experience. I wrote this off as an isolated incident and could easily explain why it happened.

After running a 3:37 at the A to A marathon a few weeks before the Memorial, I had high hopes for running a decent time and enjoying a great day with "my" marathon. It didn't happen that way. I tried hard to stay up with the 3:30 pace group but lost them around mile 15 and never recovered. I don't have much to say about the experience other than to say I finished in 3:51 and was lucky to have achieved that time. Massive stomach problems plagued me throughout the race and for many hours following the race. It was a beautiful day and the weather was perfect for a PR but "my" marathon bit me....again!

I'm trying to convince myself that "my" marathon still loves me and that she's just raising the bar and beckoning me to a higher standard of performance the way a true love does. This feeling is competing against the feeling that "my" marathon has rejected me for some crime I have unknowingly committed against it.

It's hard to having something you love cause you trouble. I think that's the hardest kind of trouble to deal with. You care about it so you can't just write it off or deal harshly with it. You have to find a way to resolve the conflict with as little collateral damage as possible because you can't imagine living a life without this thing in it. Stupid love, makes things so difficult.

Thanks for listening

3 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

hmmm...but you still finished in 3:51....I know that sucks for you but only in a dream will I EVER run a marathon that fast-EVER!!! next time why dont you register as me and run a fast marathon for me!

RBR said...

Hoo! I love when you get all metaphorical.

Sorry, that bitch OKC hurt you again (I am the girl buddy in this metaphor, so I take your side and she will always be the bitch to me, even when you have forgiven her :) )

I remember your first sub 4 and it was pretty f-ing awesome. Please remember that Sub-4 is still awesome and if you want someone to kick her ass, I will be on a plane in a heartbeat (again, this is metaphorical since I have NO chance of running sub-4 at OKC)

*smooches*

Terri said...

I am with Penny on this - both of us will never get a time anywhere near yours, so you're welcome to run under my name too!

Any idea what caused the stomach issues this time around, that you can work on to avoid next time?

For the record, holding on to that pace group for as long as you did, is quite impressive. I certainly couldn't.