Monday, June 16, 2008

OCCC Triathlon


My wife and son swam/biked/ran the Oklahoma City Community College sprint triathlon this past Saturday. I was babysitter/spectator which is a new role for me. It was actually kind of fun. I appointed myself official photographer for my two triathletes. I was also official screamer-at-the-top-of-my-lungs for them. That was really fun. I was amazed 
how reserved spectators were. I love it when people yell for me at marathons so I figured I yell for everyone at this event. I got some weird looks but who cares, I also got some thank you's from the participants.

Picture: My overconfident son.








My son was on the extreme swim team here in Edmond so when they asked him for his estimated 500 meter swim time he gave them his best time from last year. That time put him FIRST for the start! When he saw this he was more than a little nervous since this was his first triathlon.

Picture: My very scared son at the start








He actually swam very well. He was in the pool 1st and out 3rd. He missed his predicted time but didn't make too much of a fool of himself. His biking didn't go very well at all. This was primarily caused by the fact that he has a mountain bike with a warped rear tire. The problem is that his father was/is not willing to drop $1000 on a nice bike until he knows his son can/will do more triathlons. Funny, he didn't understand that. Teenagers never cease to amaze me.



His run was GREAT! This made his father very happy and proud. Screw all the swimming and biking, the important thing is that he can run and
 can run well. 

Picture: Look at that stride.


Thanks for listening

3 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

Yay for your triathletes! Yay for Wille the newbie sherpa! Glad you were a little rowdy. I think the cheering section should be, you know, cheering!

As for shelling out the big bucks for a new bike: my dad always offered to match any money I saved for something big I really wanted. His thought was if I wanted it badly I would get off my duff - babysit or do odd jobs and he would double my reward. It worked for me and I've made the same offer to my kids but so far they've not taken me up on it!

RBR said...

Yeah baby! I smell a father son team coming soon to a triathlon near you! Congrats to the triathletes!

Southbaygirl said...

How awesome to be a cheerleader for your family-it is an odd feeling cheering instead of participating!!!

I'm so sorry I haven't yet replied to your email. I love work but am hating the hours and the fact that my weekends are no spent recovering from the week of work! That flat out sucks!!! Saturday was once again a wash and sunday was herding with velcro and fathers day with my dad....and now I'm working again!!! I worked another 14.5 hour day today!! And I have 2 races this weekend-yeah right!!

This weekend you will get an email!!!

-P