Monday, November 10, 2008

A foolish consistency

Remember all that stuff I said about not running any more marathons and being tired and feeling burnt out and "oh I've done too much this year" and "oh I'm taking a break" and blah, blah, blah....

Well let's try to act like it never happened, Ok? If I was a lawyer (EEEEE Gaddds! what a thought) I would advise you to strike those posts from the record.

I registered for the Tulsa Route 66 FULL marathon tonight! Did you catch that, FULL MARATHON? Oh come on, we all knew it would happen. When have I ever followed through on anything that relates to NOT running? Hell I knew when I was typing it that as soon as I felt better I would probably default on the commitment. It's just how I am.

This blog is an insight into my soul and I feel a need to be honest. Even when that honesty makes me look foolish. Well, truth is, I am a fool and I do swing with the prevailing wind of my emotions most of the time. I wish I was a steadfast rock of consistency of thought and belief but I'm not and I'm not going to act like it here. Now get off my back about it!!!!

One of my favorite writers, Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". The way I'm going my mind will be HUGE if that's true.

Even though I have registered for the full I will, in reality, only run 20-22 miles of it at anything near a good pace. I plan to use this like I did the Spirit of Survival marathon as a training run. My goal is to hit 8 min/mile pace for 20. I have some level of confidence after last weekends good 19 mile run.

On a lower note, my wife's grandfather past away yesterday. She knew it was coming so it wasn't a great shock. What this means though is that I have to play father for a week while she is gone. In the past I have been very successful at keeping both children alive while she has been gone but I hate taking that chance any more than necessary. The big one can take care of himself so I don't worry about him but the little one will forget to eat if you don't watch him. Since I have the same problem we really aren't good together. I plan to stock up on food and just leave it out for them. This seems to work well for the dog and she is a total moron so I have hope that the little humans in the house will pick up the theory quickly. I like my kids and I feel sorry for them that they got me as a father. On the plus side, this means I get to take the rest of the week off work! Yea me!

Thanks for listening

5 comments:

Reese said...

Sorry to hear about your wifes grandfather. Have fun at Tulsa, she was my first.

Southbaygirl said...

Very sorry to hear about your wife's grandfather!!! Please send her my best!

As for you kids-I know for a fact they are very lucky to have you as a dad!!!

I thought you were coming to Carlsbad in january to run in the race with me and to meet the Heffers????

Kristina said...

Sorry about your wife's grandfather. Feel free to use my mother's advice regarding kids' nutrition: one decent meal a day and they're good to go.

JenZen said...

HA! OMG - I totally feel ya bro! ;) I'll start feeling a bit burned out and lay off the running for a few days and then I get antsy and start "jonesing" for a run. Pffff... It's an addiction.

Oh - and I COMPLETELY understand the "feeling clean" comment about the long run. I totally feel the same way. I don't know, but it feels almost like it cleanses my soul. Corny, but seriously!

RBR said...

I ma sorry to here about your wife's grandfather. Tell her I am thinking about her.

As for your children, the buggers are tougher than you think. I have tried to kill a few and, I tell you, they are quick and resourceful. They will be fine.

Yay about Tulsa! Now if you would only reconsider Big Sur. You know California is a nice vacation spot and they have a 1/2 if the wifey is interested. I'm just sayin'..

I LOVE the new blog look! It feels very "Willie"