Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Conversation with me


"My leg feels fine today, I could run a mile or two"

"No, No, No, No, don't you remember what happened on Monday?"

"But I would take it easy and stop as soon as it hurt"

"Yea but by then the damage is done, it's a bad idea"

"I'll never break 4 hours in the OKC marathon if I don't train"

"You won't finish the OKC marathon if you DO train on a bad leg"

"So I'm supposed to just do nothing? That's like giving up!"

"This is teaching you something, oh, I don't know.. maybe PATIENCE?!?"

"But what if it never heals? What if this is a sign that I'm not supposed to run or that I have my
goals set too high? I'm not sure I could deal with that."

"I don't think that's true and I think your blowing this way out of proportion, just rest and be patient. If you don't make OKC you will get the next one."

"Bad option! If I don't run I'll gain weight, get weak, and have to start from the beginning again. Don't you remember those horribly painful 6 mile runs back when we were beginning? I don't want to go through that again."

"Blowing-out-of-proportion!!!"

"No I'm not"

"Yes you are"

"Ok, but..... am not"

"You are such a child"

"I could run today, I know it. Just a little bit today, take a day off, then another little bit. I'll call it active rest."

"Why can't you just relax? You're only making this worse, and, by the way, there are people listening now and they don't want to hear your childish rants"

"Yes they do, they understand unlike you!"

"You need a doctor"

"I went to the doctor and he didn't help at all! He never even called back with the X-ray results."

"Not that kind of doctor"


Thanks for listening

3 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

It will be ok I promise!!! You will run again!! But I agree starting over-SUCKS! Did you visit with blondie or the two brunettes today? I have a horrible blister on my arch that hurts and burns everytime I take a step if it makes you feel better? did it make you feel better?

Southbaygirl said...

Velcro loves any dog that is smaller than her!!! But celebrity marriages are crap....never work...so i think she'll stay a single starlet like her mom!!!

RBR said...

Yep, you are my long lost twin.

"But what if it never heals? What if this is a sign that I'm not supposed to run or that I have my goals set too high? I'm not sure I could deal with that."

I said this to myself last week, when my knee was acting up AGAIN. I was starting to believe I was not physically capable of running a full marathon. Too old, too fat, too.... whatever.

A little unsolicited advice. You should see a different doctor. I went and even though I still had to rest some more at least I felt proactive about it and I trusted what he said. I got some tools to help correct the problem and keep it at bay. If you don't feel that way then you didn't see the right doctor.

Just my two cents. Your goals are not unrealistic, you WILL run a sub 4 hr. marathon, it may or may not be OKC, but if you hurt yourself further now you DEFINITELY won't be doing it at OKC.